BraveNewEgypt

People Speculate Government Sponsorship of Riots

leave a comment »

Surprise, surprise. The world is finally awakening to the fact that these attacks and the sudden swelling of number of pro-Mubarak supporters has something to do with them being directly backed or employed by Mubarak.

UK Foreign Secretary David Hague warned: “In the last hour I have spoken to the president’s son Gamal Mubarak and said that if it turned out that there was state-sponsored violence that would be catastrophic for Egypt and for those in the government now.”

The Committee to Protect Journalists’ Middle East and North Africa programme coordinator, Mohamed Abel Dayem reported: “The Egyptian government is employing a strategy of eliminating witnesses ot their actions The government has resorted to blanket censorship, intimidation and today a serious of deliberate attacks on journalists carried out by pro-government mobs.”

Egyptian novelist Ahdaf Soueif wrote:

“This is urgent news: the Mubarak thugs are now suddenly out in force. I say ‘thugs’ because their behaviour immediately is radically different from everything we have seen in the last week.

They are in microbuses and trucks and are keeping up a deafening wall of sound with their claxons. They are armed with sticks and various bits of weaponry and are waving them and shouting and honking their horns. They carry large well-made banners – replicas of the banners that are used in the rigged elections, proclaiming for Mubarak.

In Tahrir Square, the army has pulled its positions well back into the square instead of at the peripheries and have stopped guarding the entrances to the square. The army s no longer checking the IDs of those who enter the square nor are they checking them for weapons.”

Why would the army suddenly stop searching those entering Midan el Tahrir? And is it a coincidence that the banners being held aloft by the pro-Mubarak protesters are the same that were used during Mubarak’ election campaign?

Abdel Halim Qandil, a leading figure in the Kefaya opposition movement said this: “There are no Mubarak protesters. They are thugs, security personnel, dressed as civilians. What is happening in Tahrir Square now is a crime perpetrated by the Mubarak regime. It is another crime perpetrated by him…he must be held accountable…..we cannot stop until we see this murderous regime step down.”


Advertisements

Written by BraveNewEgypt

February 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: